On the southern coast of the Peljesac peninsula is Viganj, a place rich in maritime, tourism, and hospitality tradition. 1936 in Viganj was established tourist company, first on this part of the Adriatic. Situated in a large cove west of Cape Saint Liberan, on the edge of the fertile flysch zone. The economy is based on tourism, fishing, and agriculture. North-east of Viganj is the mountain resort of St. Ilija (961 m).
Today is a beautiful orchard and botanical garden, protected from northern winds and facing the ever warm south. Exotic fruit-trees and plants, which they from their journeys on the world seas made famous seafarers of Peljesac. Viganj disposes of many houses and villas for rent, and tourists enjoy particularly home-made products, offered by the locals. Swimmers will be delighted by a large pebble beach and pine groves. Above Viganj are located picturesque hamlets Basina, Kovacevici, Kraljevica Selo, Sapetino Selo, Podac and Dol. At the top of Sveti Ivan, where lies near the road and the old church, and the remains of the artillery position of the Austrian navy, ending the Peljesac channel. The best conditions are for sailing, surfing, and hiking.
Viganj (330 inhabitants) is located 7 km west of Orebić, the largest town on the peninsula. It is only 15 minutes by boat from the town of Korcula on the same name island. Distance from Dubrovnik, the most beautiful town in Croatia is 128 km with which Viganj connected by bus. On the regional road running along the peninsula.
Viganj is inhabited in prehistoric and ancient times. The parish church of St. Michael was erected in the Gothic period, and in 1760 was expanded. Dominican monastery and church are built in 1671. by the shipowner Marko Krstelj. The church is a single building, on the main altar is a statue of the Virgin Mary. The church keeps a wooden statue of Madonna with Child and a Renaissance bust of a saint. Next to the church is the cloister with an arcade.
Near Viganj (10 minutes by car), there is a „Spila Nakovana“ discovered in 1999. Archaeological finds in and around the cave date back to the early Neolithic period (about 6000 BC) until the end of the Late Iron Age (1st century BC). It became a worldwide sensation in professional circles but also in the domestic public. It is mostly about ceramic dishes, among which prevail fine dishes for a drink which is mainly imported from Greece and the Greek colonies in southern Italy and the central Dalmatian islands. Located in the cave are concentrated around lonely stalagmites (arguably reminiscent of the phallus), which dominates the area of the main cave hall.